Monday, March 17, 2014

7 Principles for Handling Criticism like a CHAMP! Part 1


You can't predict what others will do or say but, you can train how you react.
This week, I’ve decided to go back general help topics which are always pretty popular (see “Bruno Mars’ Masonic Baby Haircut”). I have also decided to actually write blogs instead of dissertations, so my posts will be shorter (between 500-750 words). 

Whether you are a doctor, janitor, president, or a guy who just finished a controversial series about race relations, chances are that you are going to receive your fair share of criticism.  But how can you handle criticism in a way that will not leave you drained and stressed?  Here are 7 principles to keep in mind for handling criticism like a champ!


1)      There is a difference between a disagreement and criticism.
 Don’t be frustrated because someone has a different opinion than you.  Just because someone disagrees with your idea, thoughts, or viewpoints, that doesn’t make the the disagreement a criticism or mean that the person is a critic.  First, you have to make a logical, conscious choice to not become defensive when our instinct may be to fight back when someone disagrees with you.  Leave your ego at the door; you can always learn something from a disagreement or even a criticism.

Like Romans 12:3 says, “Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don't think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us."



2)      Differentiate between constructive and destructive criticism.

I define criticism as an insult that is attached to a complaint in order to show displeasure.  For example, when as a janitor, your superior says, “You missed a spot.  Go over it again,” that’s constructive criticism.  However, if he says, “You are the worst janitor I’ve ever had.  This job is terrible,” that's probably destructive criticism (and your supervisor needs a chill pill).  The key difference to remember is that destructive criticism usually takes aim at the person rather than just the issue at hand.



3)      Get used to the fact that you will be criticized.

No one is immune or above criticism.  You are constantly being judged for what you hear, wear, do, or don’t do.  Everyone will have something to chime in about.  You could just stay home and play video games all day in an attempt to avoid criticism, but guess what?  Then you’ll get criticized for being lazy.  Since you can’t get around criticism, you might as well learn to get ahold of it.


4)      The higher the profile, the more criticism you will receive.

A while ago, I shared my beef with Dr. Ben Carson.  He probably has no idea who I am (nor does he probably care what I think).  My point is that someone who is in the public eye, and/or has a prominent position of leadership, and is taking a stand for something they believe in will probably become a lightning rod of opinions.  That’s the nature of the beast.  I may get my fair share of criticism, but compare me to the kind of criticism that someone like President Obama gets and it makes me look like I shouldn't have a care in the world!

Next time, the final 3 principles! 

1 comment: